Even though these ideas seem quiet disparate I reckon there’s quite a bit of overlap.
Both are about Freedom
The one and only rule of Veganism is “do not consume animal based products”.
It’s a simple rule that guides our actions. But underlying that simplicity is a much more nuanced idea. That idea is about freedom. That everyone sentient being that has the capacity to suffer should have freedom. Freedom of movement, freedom from oppression and freedom to do whatever your heart desires as long as you don’t impinge on anothers’ freedom. This includes man, cows, chickens, fish and anything in between. It’s about Freedom!
As a bitcoiner, we also believe in Freedom; we believe in economic sovereignty. That is the right to transact with anyone free from interference from third parties with money that doesn’t devalue, can’t be confiscated or manipulated. There’s a whole lot more to it, but that’s the basic gist.
Vegans are losing Gains
In 2009 Bitcoin started at $0. At the time of writing it’s worth $17000 roughly R290,000. Because most vegans aren’t into technology and/or economics, I fear that most vegans will have lost out on some incredible gains.
If vegans end up being wealthy, then we can affect more of the change we want. We can spend more on vegan businesses, we can spend more on vegan products and we can donate more cash to vegan NGOs and charities.
I’m always amazed at the stunning rise of Veganism over the past decade, but we’re facing multiple existential crises that demand immediate attention.
We’re facing pandemics, the climate crisis, the financial collapse to name a few, so we need to be able to respond to these challenges. As much buying a few vegan products every week helps, we need to up the ante.
Vegan NGOs, Businesses and individuals need to accept BTC
I reckon it makes sense to take payment in BTC for one simple reason – you’re getting an appreciating asset.
If you sold a vegan product or service a year ago for $10 worth of BTC, that same BTC would be worth more than double now. If you instead sold that vegan product or service for dollars, guess what, those dollars are worth less. It makes sense to receive and acquire Bitcoin.
And acquiring Bitcoin is one way I believe Vegans can build wealth that can be used to accelerate positive change.
If you are a Vegan NGO perhaps try using https://www.thegivingblock.com to accept donations.
If you’re a business or individual try using https://bitpay.com/
As an individual you can also receive Bitcoin directly with your wallet.
Veganism and Bitcoin make sense. They seem like chalk and vegan cheese, but they’re both about Freedom. As Vegans we should adopt tools that help us achieve our goals and BTC happens to be one of those tools.
Having been a vegan for quite a while now, a strange side effect has occurred in me – I’ve become optimistic. Even though this year has been rough, I see the possibilty of a bright future for all of us. I see that because the tools to inact that chane are at hand. Without a doubt two of those tools are Veganism and Bitcoin.
Good Economic Books to Read
Here’s a list of wonderful books about economics, finance and money that can help anyone understand the financial system and how to work around it.
- Bitcoin Whitepaper
- Green King
- Planet Ponzi
- The Lords of Creation: The History of America’s 1 Percent
- Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis
- Meatonomics: How the Rigged Economics of Meat and Dairy Make You Consume Too Much—and How to Eat Better, Live Longer, and Spend Smarter
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. The Climate
- The New Paradigm for Financial Markets: The Credit Crisis of 2008 and What It Means
- Selling When No One is Buying: Growing Prospects, Clients,and Sales in Tough Economic Times
- The Long Tail: How Endless Choice Is Creating Unlimited Demand
- Rich Dad’s Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not!
- Other People’s Money and How the Bankers Use It
- Liar’s Poker
- Confessions of an Economic Hit Man
- No Logo
- Falling Off the Edge: Globalization, World Peace and Other Lies. Alex Perry
- How to Negotiate Better Deals
- What’s Mine Is Yours: The Rise of Collaborative Consumption
- Sales Dogs: You Do Not Have to Be an Attack Dog to Be Successful in Sales
- To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Moving Others
- All the Presidents’ Bankers: The Hidden Alliances that Drive American Power
- War is a Racket: The Antiwar Classic by America’s Most Decorated Soldier
- The Assault on the Rand: Kevin Wakeford and the Battle to Save a Currency
- Flash Boys: A Wall Street Revolt
- Making Globalization Work